Benefits of a Share Certificate
Terms available from 3 months to 5 years.
Lock in your dividend rate for guaranteed earnings.
Insured by NCUA
Your deposits are insured up to $250,000.
What is the difference between a Share Certificate and Certificate of Deposit (CD)?
Share Certificates and a Certificate of Deposit are similar in the way they function. They both come with a fixed dividend rate that is higher than a traditional savings account and matures over a set term.
The major difference between the two is where you get them. Banks offer CDs, while credit unions offer Share Certificates. They're titled this way because when you open a share certificate, you are essentially purchasing a share of the credit union. Credit unions are owned by their members, which is why we’re able to offer higher returns on things like Share Certificates.
Reach Your Goals with the
Share Certificate Ladder Strategy
What is a
Share Certificate ladder?
A Share Certificate ladder involves investing in multiple certificate terms and staggering them so you can access funds at varying time intervals rather than investing funds in just one certificate term.
What is the main benefit of a
Share Certificate Ladder?
- Increase your access to funds among varying maturity terms, which can help if you need access to funds sooner than anticipated at account opening
- Lock in a fixed interest rate at Certificate term opening, while Checking and Savings account interest rates are variable and may change at any time.
How do you create or use a
Share Certificate Ladder?
To use a Share Certificate ladder, simply divide your desired total account balances for certificates into varying account terms (6 months, 12 months, 18 months, etc.) and fund these Share Certificate term accounts separately.
Here is an example of a Certificate Ladder of $15,000, divided equally into three terms:
- New 6-month Certificate at $5,000 (2.50% APY's*)
- New 12-month Certificate at $5,000 (3.00% APY's*)
- New 18-month Certificate at $5,000 (3.50% APY's*)
*APY=Annual Percentage Yield. APY's shown above are not the current certificate term rates and are used only as example.
- When any of the Certificate terms reach maturity, you may choose to leave existing funds as the 6-month term auto-renews, rollover existing funds to a different Certificate term, or withdraw funds to a OneAZ Checking or Savings account.
- If you were to put all funds in a 12- or 18-month certificate instead of this three-part ladder approach, you may be subject to early withdrawal penalty fees on the entire certificate amount if you need to withdraw funds earlier than anticipated.
- You are not required to divide funds equivalently into a Certificate ladder; you simply need enough funds in each Certificate term (see rate sheet for minimum account opening balance).
Frequently Asked Questions about Share Certificates
A Share Certificate is similar to a certificate of deposit (CD) at a bank. You commit your funds for a set term and your deposit grows at a locked in interest rate that is typically higher than a traditional savings account.
OneAZ Share Certificates are available in the following term options:
3, 6, 12, 18, 24, 30, 36, 48, and 60 months
OneAZ has a $2,000 minimum to open a Share Certificate account.
Whether the Share Certificate laddering strategy is worth it for you depends on how you feel most comfortable saving your money. Depending on your risk tolerance and financial goals, this strategy can help you maximize returns.
A Share Certificate ladder has several benefits, including higher interest rates than most savings accounts, no monthly fees, and it lets you take advantage of interest rate increases by rolling over CDs on a schedule.
Early Withdrawal Provisions. We will impose a penalty if You withdraw any of the principal funds before the maturity date. For Accounts with a term to maturity less than or equal to 3 months, the penalty imposed will equal all accrued dividends (except to the extent that the penalty will equal 7 days' dividends if such withdrawal occurs within 7 days of Account opening). For Accounts with a term to maturity greater than 3 months but less than or equal to 18 months, the penalty imposed will equal 90 days’ dividends. For Accounts with a term to maturity greater than 18 months but less than or equal to 24 months, the penalty imposed will equal 180 days’ dividends. For Accounts with a term to maturity greater than 24 months, the penalty imposed will equal 365 days’ dividends.
Renewal Policies. Your Account will renew automatically at maturity. You will have a grace period of 10 calendar days to make deposits or withdrawals without penalty.
Let’s Learn Together.
To learn more about getting the most out of your savings account, check out our Financial Resources Guide. Here you’ll find articles that will help you learn to maximize your savings, determine what to use a Share Certificate for, and strategize your savings for every stage in your life.
Why Choose OneAZ?
At OneAZ, our mission is to truly improve the lives of our members, our associates and the communities we serve. By becoming a member, you’re joining a credit union that cares about your future – we are here to help you achieve your financial goals. We put you first by providing you with competitive rates, low fees and the personalized service you deserve.
- You’re a Member, not a number. Your membership is your ownership stake in OneAZ Credit Union. That means we’re accountable to you, not investors or stockholders. You have a voice in how your credit union operates and get to vote for our Board of Directors.
- Our profits are your savings. As a not-for-profit, we return our earnings to you in the form of lower interest rates, lower fees and better banking technology. Our team only cares about providing you with products and services that will benefit your financial well-being.
- We keep it local. Banking at a local credit union like OneAZ keeps your money in Arizona. We’re committed to strengthening Arizona’s economy by providing affordable home and auto loans, empowering local entrepreneurs and small businesses, and supporting our members as they achieve their financial goals.
- We invest in your community. We build stronger communities by providing support to nonprofits working in neighborhoods where our members live and work. The OneAZ Community Foundation uplifts the lives of Arizonans in need by awarding dozens of grants each year to local organizations across the state.
1 Limited time offer subject to change or end at any time. The 12 Mo promotional offer is only available in branches. To receive the promotional APY rates, the account must be opened with funds not currently held with OneAZ Credit Union (i.e. New Money).
Minimum opening deposit of $2,000 required. Promotional APY not available on IRA or Business certificates. Share Certificate will renew at future prevailing OneAZ rates upon maturity. Penalty for early withdrawal may apply. See Consumer Membership Account Agreement disclosure for additional terms and conditions.
Insured by NCUA